Trichyportal.com

Exclusive Forum on Trichy. Contact Info : trichyportal@gmail.com
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trichy bits !!!
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:00 am 

Chronicling the countdown to D-day on cyberspace

No longer are the legendary lore of Romeo and Juliet, or the modern fairytale of Prince William and Kate Middleton, the only kind of love stories that get told. With young couples creating personalised wedding websites packed with pictures, music and wedding trivia to announce their nuptials in style, non-filmy, ordinary, desi versions of ‘When Harry Met Sally' are finding their space on the internet.

Be it arranged or love marriages, chronicling the countdown to biggest moments of their lives is soon becoming a trend not merely in metros but tier two cities like Tiruchi. “Our wedding website helped our friends and family track the events leading to our big day,” says Madhu Bala, a new bride. “Sharing important moments right from the engagement with those who were far away brought us close and feel they were present with us.” Wedding websites are a blend of the romantic and practical. While these websites feature pictures of starry-eyed brides and verses echoing mushy sentiments, practical essentials like how to get to the wedding, accommodation details and RSPV online also figure prominently. While paper invitations may mention the wedding hall, websites give accurate directions to the doorstep through Google Maps.

Customising for free

While paid professional services exist, most couples prefer the route of free wedding websites such as weddingwire.com that help them build customised versions.

“We made the website to reach out to our friends, most of whom are abroad,” says Preethi Sivaramakrishnan who is returning after a Masters in Singapore to get married at her hometown, Tiruchi. “We found this idea more creative than scanning our wedding invitation and sending it online. We also felt we should share the real story of how we met.” Preethi believes the effort of researching and putting the website together from scratch along with fiancé Arvind paid off when the site became a sensation among friends and received around 8,000 views on the first day.

Wedding websites follow a similar pattern incorporating components like a profile of the bride and groom with a smattering of educational background, family and siblings, talents and special interests. The proposal or the story of how the couple met or were introduced is charted out.

For couples with friends scattered in various cities, these websites are ideal to get acquainted with the would-be spouse of their friend. “My friends don't know about my fiancé, and his friends know little about me. An e-mail or Facebook invite is just that-an invite. But the website has all important details, including childhood pictures,” says Priyadarshini, preparing for her May wedding. Apart from ‘then and now' pictures from babyhood to bachelorhood, some sites even throw in details like honeymoon plans, a music request form, a list of sight seeing places in Tiruchi and a gift registry for friends . Some even add puzzles and games for a touch of levity.

[img]Pre-wedding%20photo%20shoots[/img]

Photos are the mainstay of wedding shots, propelled by another evolving trend-the pre-wedding photo shoot. While pictures of a betrothed couple together before the wedding were frowned upon, today websites, e-invitations and social networking sites abound with them even in case of traditionally arranged marriages. This is being made possible with many wedding photographers offering pre-wedding shoots as part of the matrimonial photo package. While some like Preethi have photos shot extensively, Madhu Bala has candid photos of shared moments of intimacy captured by family members.

Wedding websites are a collaborative effort. “We had our doubts on how the website was going to come out as we put in a lot of effort together,” says Arvind. “Moreover, we learnt a lot about each other and our families.”

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 402815.ece

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:41 pm 

வாட்டி வதைத்த வெயில் அடங்கியது திருச்சி மாவட்டத்தில் 6 மணி நேரம் கோடை மழை மின்கம்பம், வாழை சாய்ந்தன இன்சுலேட்டர்கள் வெடித்தன

திருச்சி: திருச்சி மாவட்டத்தில் வாட்டி வதைத்த வெயில் அடங்கி நேற்று முன்தினம் இடி, மின்னலுடன் 6 மணி நேரம் கனமழை பெய்தது. இதில் மின்கம்பங்கள், வாழைகள் சாய்ந்தன. தமிழகத்தில் கடந்த 2 வாரமாக சராசரி வெயில் 100 டிகிரியை தாண்டி கொளுத்தியது. அதிகபட்சமாக கடந்த 17ம் தேதி 106 டிகிரியை எட்டியது. இத னால் அனைத்து தரப்பினரும் கடுமையாக பாதிக்கப்பட்டனர். இந்நிலையில் நேற்றுமுன்தினம் மாலை 4 மணி க்கு திடீரென இடி, மின்னலுடன் கனத்த மழை பெய்தது. இடைவிடாமல் 6 மணி நேரம் மழை கொட்டி தீர்த்தது. தொட்டியம் பகுதி யில் இடி மின்னலு டன் பலத்த காற்று வீசிய தால் 6 இடங்க ளில் மின்கம்பங் கள் சாய்ந்தன. பல இடங்க ளில் மின்கம்பிகள் அறுந்து விழுந்தது. மின்கம்பங்களில் 27 இன்சூலேட்டர்கள் வெடித்து சித றி யது. சுற்றுவட்டாரத்தில் 10 கிராமங்கள் இரு ளில் மூழ்கி யது. தொட்டியம் மின் வாரிய உதவி செயற்பொறியாளர் சண்முகசுந்தரம் தலைமையில் பணியாளர் கள் இன்சுலெட்டர்களை யும், மின்கம்பங்களையும் சீர்படுத்தினர். துறையூர் பகுதியில் சாத்தனூரில் மின்னல்தாக்கி கந்தனின் 9 ஆடுகள் இறந்தது. காட்டுப்புத்தூர், தொட் டியம், சீனிவாசநல்லூர், வரதராஜபுரம் உள்ளிட்ட பகுதிகளில் சாகுபடி செய்யப்பட்டிருந்த சுமார் 2 ஆயிரம் வாழைகள் வேறோடு சாய்ந்தன.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 am 

Bharathidasan's family takes part in his death anniversary

TRICHY: Radical Tamil poet Bharathidasan was remembered on his death anniversary on Saturday at the university that bears his name in the city. What made the occasion poignant was the presence of his descendants, a first since the university came into existence in 1982, at the annual ceremony held in the campus. Among those at the ceremony were eight-year-old Arun Mozhi, the great -great grandson of Bharathidasan, besides vice-chancellor K Meena and registrar T Ramasamy.
Though the university regularly observes the death anniversary of Bharathidasan, who passed away on this day at Chennai in 1964, it was only this year that the family members of the poet attended the event. That family members of the poet were living in Trichy came to the knowledge of university authorities only when P Subburathina Bharathy, son of A K Pugazhendi, the first grandson of Bharathidasan's eldest daughter Saraswathy Kannappan, received his PhD in management studies during the convocation ceremony in November last year. Saraswathy Kannappan died on January 30, 2012 at Karur at the ripe age of 93. Arun Mozhi is the son of Subburathina Bharathy. Pugazhendi himself could not attend the function as he was held up in Karur. Though the family members had been invited for the 2010 convocation, Pugazhendi said they felt neglected by the university that perpetuates the memory of my grandfather. This newspaper had highlighted that family members of the late poet were rarely invited to functions hosted by the university in his memory when Subburathina Bharathy received his doctoral degree. University VC Meena said the birth anniversary celebrations of the poet, which falls on April 29 (Sunday), would be held two days earlier on April 27 this year. Tamil Research Centre will host the event, she said.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:09 pm 

Sema tough question from Surya in "Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:38 pm 

Trained to take the road less travelled

C.Indrani becomes city's first licensed professional female cab driver

About a year ago when the Women Entrepreneurs Association of Tamil Nadu (WEAT) invited women to get trained in commercial car driving, C.Indrani was among the first to enrol. Today, as the city's first licensed female cab driver she reveals what fuelled her resolve to take on a predominantly man's job. Being the only one, from the group of eight women trained by WEAT, to take up professional driving, Indrani says she had to face a lot of ridicule and scorn from society. “People warned me that it was a dangerous profession and most were highly sceptical of my ability to survive. My professional choice seemed to have hurt many a male egos,” says Indrani. With her family's poor financial situation and the constant support from WEAT egging her on, Indrani says she fixed her mind on disproving everyone and went on to win the Bharathidasan University's award for entrepreneurship in 2011.

After a few months of making contacts, learning the routes and getting regular customers, Indrani began driving children to schools and families to functions, apart from the local and long distance trips. “The headmistress of Chinmaya Vidyalaya promised me the school's contract even before I completed my training to encourage me,” says Indrani, who now regularly drives children from Alpha Cambridge International School as well. But it has been a long, arduous journey where she had to single-handedly tackle mockery on roads, those who bumped her vehicle yet made her pay and the unavoidable fear for her own safety when a group of men pile into her car for a trip. “While such incidents have angered me, I have not forgotten all the taxi and bus drivers who have congratulated me for choosing to be one among them,” says Indrani, adding that several of her customers were referred by other cab drivers. While the money is regular, Indrani claims it isn't enough to pay off the loan for her vehicle and run her family. To supplement her income, she teaches two-wheeler driving to women in the mornings and delivers water cans to homes and hotels.

Explaining why the other women did not take up commercial driving despite getting their license, N. Manimekalai, founder- advisory member, WEAT, says: “The District Industries Centre, the nodal funding agency for entrepreneurs, has placed vehicle loans on their negative list. While the move is probably aimed at preventing people from misusing the subsidies, it discouraged most women we trained from buying their own vehicles.” Apart from this, Ms.Manimekalai also felt many were not confident enough and lacked family's support, unlike Indrani. K.Sasirekha, the only other female commercial van driver in the city, feels that people are more inclined to trust female drivers. “Initially, I faced some friction from male drivers who lost their customers to me, but I have learnt to ignore them,” she says, adding that proving herself as a careful driver was key to her success. Though Indrani wanted to learn bus driving, the costs involved and her age have made her drop the plan. Instead, she now hopes to set up a travel agency along with a few other women she has been training. “If the government revises its stand regarding cab drivers and introduces subsidies for us too, many more women will take to commercial driving.”

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 298646.ece

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:27 pm 

MR.Raja wrote:

Stories of legal system come alive on walls

The compound of district court in the city sports a new look, thanks to the efforts by the city Corporation. Sceneries or legendary sequences relating to courts, the typical proceedings of a ‘panchayat' where arbitration takes place in a village, have been painted on the compound of the court.

“We choose department-specific scenery. Being the compound of the district court, we chose certain sequences from the history of Tamil Nadu where justice had been extended even to a cow or a bird,” say M. Anbazhagan and Munusamy, artists.

“The Chola rulers were popular for rendering justice. One of them, Manu Needhi Cholan, rushed to render justice to a cow; Sibhi Chakravarthy had parted with part of his flesh as a means of justice to a bird,” they say referring to the paintings of these sequences.

30 sequences

They have selected 30 sequences to be painted on the compound of the court.

M. Vinodh says the height of the compound is about 10 feet and they divide its length into segments each 12-feet long.

Looking at a postcard-sized photograph, they set out on work.

Each of them takes about five to six hours to complete a painting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 pm 

கோடையை சமாளிக்க திருச்சி மாநகரில் தினமும் 100 மில்லியன் லிட். குடிநீர் மாநகராட்சி நடவடிக்கை

திருச்சி: திருச்சி மாநகராடசி பகுதியில் தினமும் 100 மில்லியன் லிட்டர் குடிநீர் விநியோகிக்க நடவடிக்கை எடுக்கப்பட்டு வருவதாக மேயர் ஜெயா தெரிவித்துள்ளார். திருச்சி மாநகராட்சிக்கு காவிரி மற்றும் கொள்ளிடத்திலிருந்து குடிநீர் சேகரிக்கப்படும் தலைமை நீரேற்று நிலையங்களில் மேயர் ஜெயா நேற்று ஆய்வு மேற்கொண்டார். காவிரியில் கம்பரசம்பேட்டை அருகே அமைக்கப்பட்டுள்ள தலைமை நீரேற்று நிலையம், அய்யாளம்மன் படித்துறை அருகில் அமைக்கப்பட்ட பொன்மலை பகுதிக்கான தலைமை நீரேற்று நிலையம், கொள்ளிடத்தில் ஆளவந் தான் படித்துறை பகுதியில் ஸ்ரீரங்கம் பகுதிக்காக அமைக்கப்பட்டுள்ள தலைமை நீரேற்று நிலையங்களில் ஆய்வு நடத்தினார். பின்னர் அவர் கூறுகை யில், திருச்சி மாநகராட்சியின் அனைத்து பகுதிகளுக்கும் கோடை காலத்தில் தட்டுப்பாடு இல்லாமல் குடிநீர் வழங்கப்படும். இதற் காக தற்போது செயல் பாட்டில் உள்ள குடிநீர் திட்டங்கள் சிறப்பாக பராமரிக்கப்பட்டு கண்காணிக்கப் பட்டு வருகிறது. காவிரி ஆற்றில் கம்பரசம்பேட்டை, அய்யாளம்மன் படித்துறை அருகேயுள்ள நீரேற்று நிலையங்களில் இருந்து 92 மல்லியன் லிட்டர் தண் ணீரும், கொள்ளிடத்தில் ஆளவந்தான் படித்துறை பகுதியில் இருந்து ஸ்ரீரங்கத்துக்கு 8 மில்லியன் லிட்டர் தண்ணீரும் சேகரிக்கப்படுகிறது. இந்த தலைமை நீரேற்று நிலையங்களில் சேகரிக்கப்படும் 100 மில்லி யன் லிட்டர் தண்ணீரிலிருந்து மாநகரின் அனை த்து பகுதிகளுக்கும் பாதுகாக்கப்பட்ட குடிநீர் விநியோகம் செய்யப்படுகிறது என்றார். ஆய்வின் போது துணை மேயர் ஆசிக் மீரா, ஆணை யர் (பொறுப்பு) செல்வராஜ், கோட்டத்தலைவர்கள் லதா, சீனிவாசன், மனோகரன் உள்ளிட்டோர் உடனிருந்தனர்.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:24 am 

State’s largest temple bell to chime in Trichy soon

ERODE: The largest temple bell in the state, weighing more than 1.5 tonnes, will be ready to ring in two months from the premises of Ugrakaliamman Temple at Thennur near Trichy. The brass bell's sound will reportedly be heard within a 20km radius. Over two dozen artisans from Kumbakonam and Thanjavur will work with award winning sculptor L Radhakrishnan in Erode city round the clock to get the bell ready by the last week of May.

The wooden mold has already been made and works regarding its replica was completed on Monday. Sculpting of the brass bell will begin on Tuesday. It will be transported to Trichy by the first week of June.

According to Radhakrishnan, the bell will be six feet in length and the estimated cost is more than Rs 20 lakh. "Most temple bells in the state weigh less than a tonne. It has been my long cherished dream to make the state's largest bell,'' says Radhakrishnan, who has made more than 300 huge temple bells so far.

His workplace is located inside Edissia Industrial Estate in Kangayam Bypass and residents are starting to trickle in to view the finished clay model. "Though most temples in Tamil Nadu are located in the Thanjavur-Kumbhakonam belt, the bell manufacturing business has remained in Erode for the last several centuries. However, due to manpower shortage I had to depute artisans from Kumbakonam and Thanjavur,'' says Radhakrishnan. Winner of the National Award for the best sculptor in 2002 and Shilpa Guru Award of Union Government in 2007, Radhakrishnan also won Tamil Nadu state award for sculptor in 1979 and 1981.

He won Erode Jaycee's young person award in 1988 and Rashtriya Nirman Rattan Award in 1999. He had also won Gowri Shankar Stapathiyar Award in 1999 and Tamil Nadu Kalainanmani Award in 2002. "I am very passionate about sculpting temple bells. When the Thennur temple committee approached me with the project, I instantly agreed to do it as they were able to afford the cost,'' says Radhakrishnan, who is also making bronze statues of Radha and Krishna for a Coimbatore temple. "More than the job satisfaction and the money in it, what motivates me to keep going is my desire to keep the art of sculpting alive," he added.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:28 pm 

tp_admin wrote:
Facebook hires software engineers from India to fill US posts

MUMBAI: Facebook, the world's largest social networking site, is doing something that no domestic or multinational company has done before - hire software engineers from India for positions based in the United States.

Typically, global firms such as IBM and GE hire in India for positions here and send some of these recruits abroad for specific projects. However, Facebook's open invitation in a newspaper advertisement last week seeking applicants "to work in the US" is being regarded as a first.

"It is unusual and I haven't seen anything like this," said Sharad Sharma, the chair of industry body Nasscom's software product forum. The advertisement in The Times of India pointed applicants to an online coding challenge for 86 open positions in software engineering in Chicago, Dublin ( Ireland), New York and Seattle.

Those who solved the puzzles were promised a phone interview. The online test is being done in partnership with InterviewStreet, a startup founded by Vivek Ravhishankar, a graduate of the National Institute of Technology in Tiruchirapalli. Facebook is a client of InterviewStreet.

Official Website - https://www.interviewstreet.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interviewstreet

Trichy - Paradise In Tamil Nadu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:10 pm 

Facebook hires software engineers from India to fill US posts

MUMBAI: Facebook, the world's largest social networking site, is doing something that no domestic or multinational company has done before - hire software engineers from India for positions based in the United States.

Typically, global firms such as IBM and GE hire in India for positions here and send some of these recruits abroad for specific projects. However, Facebook's open invitation in a newspaper advertisement last week seeking applicants "to work in the US" is being regarded as a first.

"It is unusual and I haven't seen anything like this," said Sharad Sharma, the chair of industry body Nasscom's software product forum. The advertisement in The Times of India pointed applicants to an online coding challenge for 86 open positions in software engineering in Chicago, Dublin ( Ireland), New York and Seattle.

Those who solved the puzzles were promised a phone interview. The online test is being done in partnership with InterviewStreet, a startup founded by Vivek Ravhishankar, a graduate of the National Institute of Technology in Tiruchirapalli. Facebook is a client of InterviewStreet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124  Next